SWAIA Santa Fe Indian Market’s 2019 “Haute Couture” Fashion Show featured an exciting mix of new and established designers on the runway. This year’s Native designers included Decontie (Penobscot/Algonquin) & Brown (Penobscot), Catherine Blackburn (Dene), Delina White (Leech Lake Ojibwe), Margaret Roach Wheeler (Chickasaw/Choctaw), Lesley Hampton (Ojibwe/Mohawk), Sho Sho Esquiro (Kaska Dene/Cree), Pamela Baker (Kwaguilth/Tlingit/Haida), Shy Natives (Northern Cheyenne), Korina Emmerich (Puyallup), and Patricia Michaels (Taos Pueblo). Amber-Dawn Bear Robe (Siksika) and her team organized the fashion show.
The show opened with a performance by hoop dancer Shandien LaRance, or Sonwaii (Hopi/Tewa/Assiniboine), and closed with a moving runway show/performance piece by Patricia Michaels which raised awareness of the issue of murdered and missing Indigenous women. Tania Rose Larsson (Gwich’in) provided jewelry for Korina Emmerich’s looks.
- Decontie & Brown, Jason K. Brown and Donna Decontie-Brown, Wabanaki, Maine
- Catherine Blackburn, Dene, Saskatchewan
- I Am Anishinaabe, Delina White, Leech Lake Ojibwe, Minnesota
- Margaret Roach Wheeler, Mahota Studios, Chickasaw/Choctaw, Oklahoma
- Lesley Hampton, Anishinaabe/Mohawk, Toronto
- Sho Sho Esquiro, Kaska Dena, British Columbia
- Pamela Baker, Kwakwakaʼwakw/Tlingit/Haida, British Columbia
- Shy Natives, Jordan and Madison Craig, Northern Cheyenne, California
- Korina Emmerich, EMME, Puyallup, New York
- Patricia Michaels, PM Waterlily, Taos Pueblo, New Mexico